Jan 13, 2010

The DH Race short list of 2010.

*disclaimer - I by no means am a quality DH rider - I just spend a lot of time on the internet reading so i know what i'm talking about.

Always on MTBR people ask What DH bike should I get for racing? Then you get the response form some jerk saying "well whats your budget? Where do you ride? Do you have a lift or do you have to pedal up? Do you mean Freeride because since you are asking for a dh RACE bike I'm sure you have no idea what you're talking about".... yeah we've all seen that guy.

I've ran into this question a few times this off-season and each time i pretty much copy paste my same answer. First of all I assume if someone is asking what race bike they should get then they're going to probably race the bike. If they're going to race they probably have enough money to get a legit race bike... and lastly, i actually think they mean what frame should i get.. make sense right?

Here is my short list for everyone to reference until the 2011 bikes start to leak out.. I promise this will help you.

FIRST Banshee Legend - This bike will win. Keep in mind, you didn't win... it did. By the way, "Legend" = sickest name ever.

SECOND Turner DHR - When Dave Turner says "It will be ready when it is ready" then you know we're in for a treat.

THIRD Evil Revolt - another DW linkage design so it can't be bad, plus one of their owners (kevin if i remember right) can draw pictures out of his backside. I can't wait to pick up a t-shirt when they're up and ready.

FORTH Intense 951 - Its Californian.

Those are definitely my top 4. There are others that I think are going to be or are great bikes.. .but they just don't come as quickly to mind when i hear DH Race. However they do need mentioned.

Transition TR450 - These guys come from good stock and their bikes are legit

Morewood Makulu - simple and clean and i hear the geo is spot on.

Yeti 303rdh - Yeti goes out on a limb all the time with their DH Bikes and they constantly solid.

Santa Cruz V10 - Its proven, thats for sure. but still feels a bit bland to me.

Of course there are the big box bikes as well, like the Specialized Demo 8, Giant Glory, Trek Session 88... All of these are quality bikes but they just don't stand out to me.

Well there you have it, your pre-season words of wisdom on purchasing a new DH race frame.




No comments: